Mourning but learning from Urban Ladder
Harveen Ahluwalia
19 November 2020
1
UNLOCK NOW!

In our little urban bubble that is people who shop online, Urban Ladder’s sale to Reliance Retail Ventures last week set off a sort of glum chain reaction. Many expressed surprise that the company went out with a whimper and not a bang, which was contrary to their own experience of buying furniture from the company. Where customers absolutely loved the product and the experience, and so imagined that Urban Ladder must be prospering, when in fact it was anything but. 

Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) has acquired online furniture seller Urban Ladder Home Decor Solutions Pvt. Ltd for ₹182.12 crore, expanding its presence in India’s fast-growing e-commerce market. Reliance Retail Ventures Ltd (RRVL), the retail unit of billionaire Mukesh Ambani’s RIL, bought 96% of Urban Ladder and has the option to buy the remaining 4% stake, the company said in a stock exchange filing on Saturday night. RRVL proposes to make a further

What our readers say
Why subscribers love The Morning Context
High quality, independent journalism is rare to find. The Morning Context set really high standards that make me wait for each story.
Abhay Pandey, Managing partner, A91 Capital
Well-written and researched long form reads on a wide variety of topics and a team of veteran journalists - all of this makes my subscription worth it.
Anupam Gupta, Investment research consultant
In today's very noisy and cluttered world, I like that the Morning Context goes below the surface of company PR to deliver fact-based stories on Indian business.
Jessie Paul, CEO, Paul Writer
The Morning Context is my daily opportunity to get smarter about one new company/sector. Discerning analysis, unbiased and approachable.
Miten Sampat, Angel investor & former CSO, Times Internet
In today's polarized world, authentic and unbiased facts are in short supply world over. The Morning Context is a refreshing approach towards truthful, well researched, fearless, and high-quality articles on contemporary topics.
N S Parthasarthy, Co-founder, Mindtree
As one of the early subscribers, I've had the opportunity to witness how quickly the team has grown, the variety of angles covered, and the research in every in-depth story and op-ed.
Amarjit Batra, Managing director, Spotify India
In a world full of noise, The Morning Context is the calm that stimulates and energises your mind, with stories focused on fact, truth and dogged reportage.
Nikhil Taneja, Co-founder and CEO, Yuvaa
Although it’s a paid subscription, the kind of detailed research and quality of reportage makes it worth every rupee. It’s strength surely lies in having some of the finest journalists writing for it.
Shiladitya Bora, Producer, distributor and founder at Platoon One Films
Become a TMC member
Sign up now and get free access to our starter collection.
SIGN UP
Read our other Newsletters